I love Luvvie.
She is one of my favourite people in the world and I think she is brilliant. I have been following her since 2013 and there hasn’t been a dull moment since I started. Her take on Pop Culture plus her social commentary is EVERYTHING!!!
Plus, she is the Queen of Snatching Wigs.
I am sure you already know by now that I am a fan so forgive me if you feel I am going to be biased. But Ms. Ajayi reigns supreme and her book is proof.
There are many experiences that try to define us in this digital age; from spirituality, to pop culture and social media. Many of us are struggling with our beliefs about God and some of us are letting social media validate who we are. I’m Judging You reminds us on why we need to treat people better and be the best version of ourselves. Yes. It is that book.
I told myself I was not going to do a review so I will just list 8 reasons why you need to get your copy of I’m Judging You ASAP!
- Personal Development: There are a lot of self help books telling us how to make it and be successful but there are not a lot reminding us to be better friends or to love our bodies more. Luvvie even drops nuggets on ways to improve your business skills without all the impractical jargon from motivational speakers and life coaches. The book is as real as it gets.
- Understanding Race, Racism and Race Relations: A lot of Africans don’t get racism. People make comments like “African Americans complain too much” or “why can’t they move back to the Motherland”. Some make comments on how lazy they are and are the menace of society. I’m Judging You helps us understand racism and why it is an issue in America. It dissects some of the issues and why there is a need to empathize with our African-American brothers and sisters and not put them down.
- Africa is NOT a Country: This is for our non-African brothers and sisters who think they can put us in a box. Nah! We are more complex and diverse than you can ever imagine and Luvvie schools you on why you best not lump us all together.
- Homophobia is a disease: A Nigerian Christian woman lets the world know that gay rights are human rights. ‘Nuff said.
- Feminism 101: When Chimamanda says “We Should All Be Feminists” it sounds vague to many. Some people do not understand the concept of feminism and why it is important because it has been reduced to “Wife Not Cook” discussions on Twitter. Luvvie breaks it down and helps you see why you need to be a feminist.
- Rape Culture: Many guys I know don’t understand rape culture. For them, as long as they are not forcing a girl to have sex with them, all their shenanigans are acceptable. Thing is, there are other things we do or enable that promote rape culture. We need to stop. We need to be better.
- Social Media Etiquette: From the indiscriminate use of hashtags to over sharing and fake news; Luvvie calls us out on our BS. We understand that it is your page and you can do as you please but still we have to deal with it on a daily. Have mercy on us.
- Love is the True Religion: This is my biggest take away from the book. In everything, Luvvie emphasizes the need for us to be a community that looks after our brothers and sisters. In her words “In whatever way you can, do something to lift someone else up. One of the easiest ways to do that? Be an ally, by living in ways that respect others who are marginalized.”
I am so happy I got a chance to read this book. The inspiration I got cannot be explained. Living in the 21st century is challenging and for many of us, we just want to live life the best way we can. I’m Judging You is your manual for doing that. It is the voice of your friend pushing you to do better and I love it! No wonder the book is a New York Times Bestseller!!!
What are you waiting for? Go get your copy now! Click here for more information.