There has been a lot of talk about the new TLC show about Pastor’s Wives. A lot of them claim that the show is blasphemous and does not portray the positive side of being a Pastor’s Wife. Even, Marvin Sapp has even shared his opinion about the new show. I decided to watch the show myself because I know that things are usually blown out of proportion. So I decided to watch to see what all the noise was about and hear are my thoughts. (Sorry I didn’t keep the names of the characters in my head. I do not think I will be watching again)
- As I spent 40 minutes of my time watching, I kept asking myself “What is the point of this show?” To entertain? (We got Mary Mary for that). To present positive role models for young women in churches? (ummm)…
- How can you say when you are around Christian folk you should not quote scripture? I am the kind of guy who appreciates real Christianity and lot of people know that I am not a fan of “Christianese” but still even when I am in regular conversations with my friends, a bible verse pops up. Even when I am talking with non-Christians, a Bible verse somehow pops up. I understand where the ladies were coming from because sometimes we are quick to throw a Bible verse into a discussion when it is not necessary but watching that clip closely, there was no need for a (Real Housewives) fight argument. As the fight argument progressed, the quoting scripture lady started over quoting. It was just a huge mess
- The show is not blasphemous. Blasphemy involves disrespect of God or the Christian faith. Even with all their drama, I do not think the show does that.
- The Sex Talk. Some of the Christians that watched the episode have issues with the sex talk that one of the Pastors and his wife gave his daughters. I totally understand the place the man was coming from and I understood why he had to show them how to use a condom but still there was just something wrong with that scene. I couldn’t wait for it to be finished
- Oh and there is a scene where one of the pastors gets his wives handcuffs as a gift. TMI!!! Your sex life is not anybody’s business.
- I believe God wants us to be successful and all but this show just feels very materialistic.
- Gossip. Seriously?
I think the producers of the show wanted people to see that Pastor’s wives are not perfect, go through various struggles, and are human. I totally agree because many people hold them to a higher standard because of their position and I feel like there are other ways through which you can pass this message across. Personally, I feel this is just a “Christian’ version of the “Real Housewives” series. Just filled with drama and drama and more drama. I watched the first episode and I do not think I got anything from the show. I do not even think I will be watching again. If I see my Pastor’s wife on TV acting like Nene Leakes…. Hmmmm
Maybe I am over reacting. Maybe it is not as bad as you think. Maybe after you watch this the lives of these women might inspire you. I am not trying to act as if I am perfect and living the perfect Christian life. That is not my intention. So watch for yourself and let me know your thoughts. While you watch, try to remember Proverbs 31:10-31. In the end, there is no job description for a Pastor’s wife in the Bible. She is a wife to her husband and a mother to her children.
PS: Sho Baraka is dropping his first album as an independent artist next week. Read all about it here
Image courtesy TLC